Wednesday, April 8, 2015

A "Runners" Body Type

From the moment I started running I was judged. I was judged by the way I looked. I was "told" that I did not have a "runners" body type. What does that even mean?  What is a "runners" body type?  Oh... Is that their way of saying I'm too "big" to be a runner? 

When I talk about my accomplishments I am constantly judged because I do not have a "runners" body type. (So people tell me).

And here is what I have to say about it. 

Yes. Maybe I have to work harder because I don't weigh 100lbs. And maybe I chafe more. But you know what? I am mentally strong. So strong none of that matters. 

One of their first responses after they are told about my accomplishments is "you do not look like a runner."  And very politely I respond with "thank you" :) But deep down it hurts every time I hear that. I have worked so hard to be the runner I am today, and I do not need someone to judge the runner I am because of the way that I look. Instead, people need to focus on the races I have accomplished, and the times I have achieved. 

If I were to of listened to every "coach" (yes they don't even deserve that title) or to anyone who told me I do not have a "runners" body, then I wouldn't be where I am today. I would of never tried my first marathon, my first Ironman, or even my first Ultra-marathon.  Thank goodness I am stubborn! :) 

I am tired of being judged and I am sure every other runner who isn't a 100lbs feels the same way. People need to get over what a runner "should" look like and focus on what the runner has accomplished. 



No comments:

Post a Comment