Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Coldwater Rumble 100 Mile

Coldwater Rumble
 
The course
Coldwater Rumble is a 100 mile running race in Goodyear, Arizona.  It was 5 loops, each loop 20 miles long.  The race is desert trails that wind through the foothills of the rugged and jagged Sierra Estrella mountain range.  It is a total of 10,000 feet of elevation gain.  Trails are rough.  The first 8 miles of the trail is a small incline with rocky trails.  The next 4 miles is sand.  Yes sand.  It's like running on a beach.  The next 8 miles is rolling hills with rocks and steep inclines along the way.  By far this was the toughest trail run I had done.

Training 
For my training I took this race a little more seriously.  I was a little nervous for how much elevation gain there was.  This race was the most elevation gain I had done.  I trained on the trails around my house running 20 miles with 5,000 feet of elevation gain.  These runs would make me so sore the next day I could barely walk.  But those were the days I had to run 20-35 miles.  Running 20-35 miles sore is extremely hard.  Mentally though I feel it prepared me for the race.
I had a few bad falls, but nothing that took me out of training for a while.  I took these injuries as a part of training.  When you fall and your bleeding on your knees, hands and elbows and you still have 15 miles left in order to complete your run.... You learn to push through the pain.  And the next morning when you wake up still sore from your fall and you have to run 35 miles that day... Well you push through it.  In ultra racing your body ALWAYS hurts.  Everyone hurts.  Those who do well are the ones who can push through the pain... knowing it will soon be over.




My Crew
I was very blessed with my crew this time.  My crew consisted of 
Ryan: my fiancé who is my main man.  He knows me almost better than I know myself.  He is the one who I go to whenever I am having issues and he knows exactly how to help me.
Megan: my best friend and running partner.  I have been running with her since I was thirteen.  She is a consistent runner who pushes me mentally and physically.
Spencer: Megan's husband who is in the process of becoming a Navy Seal.  Him and I are on the same mental strength level.  "You push yourself no matter how much you hurt"
My parents: this race was special because my mom came.  I know it was a big decision for her to come, but I am so thankful she did because now she understands why I sign up for these crazy runs.



Let's Race

The race started.  I took the first 8 miles very slow.  I slowly jogged the first 8 trying to warm my legs up.  Once I made it to mile 9 I turned my  music up and was ready to go.  Slowly I started catching up to the front group.  I had to keep reminding myself that I still had a long way to go, so to take my time.  At mile 20 when I came into the pit my crew told me I was second female.  I was a little disappointed in myself because I didn't want to be up that far this soon in the race.  In the pit I changed my clothes, and I was out again.  From there on out I was ready to race.  The second loop my stomach started to give me issues.  Sadly I lost a pair of shorts that loop :) 
Each loop this girl and I were going back and forth between first and second place girl.  She was a very strong runner.  



On the third loop I needed to switch up my nutrition.  My stomach was so upset.  I kept having to go to the bathroom and kept feeling like I was going to throw up.  From here on out I ate regular food.  Peanut butter sandwiches and protein drinks.  



Loop 4.  I was so excited! This loop Megan would run with me.  Gosh I was waiting for this loop.  Megan and I took this loop as a catch up loop.  I was second place girl.  Each loop I told myself it was just a 20 mile run.  Taking each loop as a new run.  Never telling myself it was a 100 mile run.  The course was very rough.  Megan being a road runner wasn't used to having to watch out for all the rocks and uneven surface. She fell twice.  Pretty hard too.  She is a tough girl though.  She would get up and run it off.  Love her for that.  

Accepting Second
Loop 5 I got Ryan.  This loop for me is hard to write about.  It still hurts to think about.  At mile 84 my back gave out.  At this point in the race I was in first place for women.  The moment I could feel my back giving out I felt hopeless. There was nothing I could do.  My legs felt like they could run 50 more miles... I knew I needed to keep pushing forward because I knew the second place girl wasn't far behind.  I used my legs to keep my going, as I was hunched over.  Ill never forget passing people all hunched over in so much pain.  I would try with everything I had to straighten myself up.  But my back wouldn't have it.  Ryan would lift me up every once in a while to straighten my back hoping it would ease the pain.  Sadly around mile 90 I was passed by the second place girl.  She looked strong.  Ill never forget that feeling.  The moment I needed to accept the fact that she looked so strong, and I felt so weak.  At that moment I accepted what was happening, but I was STILL not willing to give up.  Not willing to use the excuse that my back hurt so much that I needed to drop out of the race.  Ryan looked at me, waiting to hear my response.  I told him that we just need to keep pushing forward in hopes no one else will pass is.  That was by far the longest 10 miles of my life.  My back was in so much pain, but my legs kept us moving forward.  My legs were not willing to give up.  Ryan kept telling me how he wished we could find a stick to tie around me to make my back straight.  But there was nothing we could do.  This is when heart comes in to play.  my heart and will to not give up was the reason I finished.  No matter how much pain I was in, I was not willing to give up.  When we were a mile away from the finish line Ryan told me to try to use everything I had to run in standing up as high as I could.  I don't think I did, but I did feel 10 feet tall.  So proud of myself that no matter what pain is thrown at me I can still push through and finish as strong as I could.  Running into the finish line I could see and hear my family.  It was an emotional finish as expected.  Ryan upset because I was in so much pain, my family concerned with what happened because that was the longest time we took on a loop.  But I am sure they had a feeling it was my back again.  





After the Race 
Ryan and my dad brought me over to a chair where I was given water and protein.  I then did a post-race interview where I answered a few questions.  Honestly I bet I made no sense.  Sitting in the chair, I looked around and saw my family and friends standing around me.  I could feel all the love and support from there.  By this time it was 3am.  They stayed up all night waiting for me to come in.  This was a moment in my life where I felt so blessed by the people God put in my life.  I could of not done this race without them. 
My dad then grabbed me to walk me to the car.  At this point I realized my body was done and needed to find the nearest trash can.  Yep I threw up.  Now let me tell you, in all the years I have been running I have NEVER thrown up after a run! I threw up a few times while everyone was packing up the car. 

When we got back to the hotel room... I changed my clothes and used the bathroom.  Once I was done, I noticed that I peed what looked like blood.  At this point I yelled to Ryan asking him if we should go to the hospital.  He told me to start drinking water.  I could NOT hold the water down.  Every sip I threw up.  Him and a few others advised me to drink pedialite.  I drank as much of that as I could.  I told myself that if I peed blood again I'm going to the hospital.  Thankfully the pedialite worked.  That night Ryan and I got two hours of sleep.  Between my body being in pain, and so many emotions it was hard to sleep.   Ill never forget sitting in Ryan's lap that night just crying.  Crying for many reasons; I was so happy it was over, I was so proud of myself for pushing throw the pain, was so grateful for my family and friends for believing in me and supporting me.  For all the emotions I went through for 21 hours.  



Recovery
The next day I went to my brothers house and stayed there for a two days.  It was nice because Ryan could finally get some rest from taking care of me.  Recovering from an ultra-marathon is just has long and hard as the ultra-marathon itself.  Poor Ryan.  I can't even describe to you the pain you are in after running that long.  When you walk, your muscles feel like they can not even carry your upper body.  In order to stand up you need to hold on to something to pull up your body wights.  It hurts just laying there.  Sunday night was hard.  I laid in bed crying from all the pain.  Yes lots of crying.  But to keep in mind I could not have any kind of medicine since I peed blood earlier.  We were trying to be as easy on my kidneys as possible.  

I had a much faster recovery this race than my last one.  By the end of the week I was running and cycling again! I guess you can say my body is getting used to it ;) 

And yes, I lost ALL my toenails :) 



Thank you
I want to take this moment to thank everyone who believed in me.  Who knew I could complete another ultra-marathon and place.  I love you all!  All your love and support is what gets me through all those miles. 

"Everyone thinks its your body that won't let you do something, but your mind controls your body.  When your mind tells your body to keep going, your body will"

I am ready for my next ultra-marathon.  I am learning more and more every race.  Once the wedding is over I will be signing up for my next one.  :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment