Saturday, December 7, 2013

Week 9: My Thanksgiving Week

Week 9: My Thanksgiving Training Week
 
For Thanksgiving week I went to Lake Havasu with my fiancé and his family.  It was so much fun.  The weather was perfect.  I had a few long runs I needed to accomplish.  
 
Here is how my training schedule went for the week
 
Monday – ran 24.09 miles
Tuesday – rode 62.92 miles
Wednesday – rode 33.88 miles
Thursday – ran 16.23 miles
Friday – ran 26.27 miles
Saturday – rode 25.12 miles


 
On Thanksgiving I ran 16.23 miles.    I ran it at a pretty quick pace.  I ran 8 miles out and 8 miles back.  The first 8 miles was up hill.  I had to push the first 8 miles, and I was able to relax a bit on the way back.  That night, we had our Thanksgiving dinner.  I had turkey, dessert, and WINE.  Not a good idea.  The next morning when I woke up, I felt horrible.  I knew right then it was a bad idea that I drank, because I had to run my longest training run of 26 miles that day.  Running that day was very hard.  I was tired from my long training week, as well as, I still felt stuffed from the night before, and the several glasses of wine was not making my legs feel any better.  My thighs were burning the whole entire time.  I did my best to ignore them.  I feel that when you think about the pain, that will only make you weaker.  My calves felt great, and my foot was fine.  My foot was giving me issues a few weeks before.  The muscle on the bottom of my foot felt like it was pulling every step I took.  It felt great that day.  And my calves felt amazing!  Usually when I run, especially uphill, my calves get crazy tight.  My calves and I have a love/hate relationship.  I love them because they take me to so many amazing places, but I hate them because they are what usually gives me the most issues when going to those amazing places.  It is funny how some days you can feel amazing and how some days issues occur that are unexpected.  

I was very blessed that day, because my future mother-in-law, Karen and my fiancé, Ryan were so sweet.  They both came along with me while I ran.  It helped me take my mind off of what I was doing, and just enjoy being around them.  Karen rode a beach cruiser, while my Ryan was on a cross-bike.  Mike, my future father-in-law gave us support out in his car to give us food and water.  I felt like I was racing with my crew and pacers.  This made it fun!  



Mind you, the first 13 miles was all up hill, so the fact that Karen rode a beach cruiser  uphill for 13 miles was super impressive.  She had no gloves, no bike shorts, was not clipped in, like most riders use.  Yes, she is a stud.  That was when I realized why she does not think I am crazy.  I have done that ride many times on  my road bike, and trust me it is extremely difficult.   Knowing how difficult of a time she was having made it easier for me to deal with my task at hand.  

*I just have to stop for a moment and say that I am so blessed by the people around me who help and support me in the sport I love.  If it wasn't for them, I would not be where I am today, which is following my dreams.  Ryan, Karen, and Mike, took time out of their day to give me the support I needed in order to have a successful training run.  I am truly blessed* 

During the run, I did not eat too much.  I had two things of baby food, a muffin, some grapes, Gatorade and water.  Usually I am craving to eat and drink more.  I feel my body is getting used to the mileage.  This makes me so happy because I am starting to feel very confident that I will be ready for my race.  Probably the best feeling in the world!!  



Trust me by the time I ran the 26 miles I was wiped out.  The ride the next day was nice and SLOW!  It's alway good to cycle your legs out the next day after a long run.  I am looking forward to my mileage increase next week!  I hope you all had an amazing Thanksgiving!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment