Monday, February 11, 2013

Transition from Running to Cycling


Transition from Running to Cycling

This past week I have been trying to focus on cycling more than usual, mainly because of my pulled calf.  I do though want to get back into the Ironman/ triathlon scene.  Usually a typical workout would be 8 miles a day during the week, with either a long run or ride on the weekend.  This past week, I have been riding for about an hour and a half, trying to get in as many hills as I can to build up my 'cycling legs'.  I want to trade off from running to cycling, and even start doing double days.  As a runner, cycling is difficult for me.  There is so much more to think about than only moving your legs.  With running I feel I can zone out.  I can put my music on and just RUN.  With cycling, I have to think of so many different things.  From changing gears, to watching for cars and pedestrians, to paying even MORE attention to potholes in the ground.  * I emphasize on the MORE because I am a klutz * Not only do I have to think about more with cycling, but I notice I am using different muscles as well.  My thighs are used a TON more with cycling, where with running I mainly use my calves.  I look forward to pushing my body to help myself become a better overall athlete.


Tour of Palm Springs

On February 9, 2013, I rode the century (100 miles) in the Tour of Palm Springs.  Phil and I rode the Tandem.  Phil is training for Race Across America, which is done on a Tandem, so he needs to practice riding it.

Tandem Bike

There is a lot more to a Tandem bike than one may think.  The person, who is in the front of the Tandem, has to focus on their shifting, wide turns, and balancing two people.  The Tandem is much heavier which makes it slower, with its long wheelbase.  The response time is not as quick if you need to move the bike fast to get out of the way of something.  The normal biking characteristics are compromised.  The riders on the Tandem have to go at the same speed.  If one person is pedaling hard, the other person needs to keep up.  

The Race

We woke up at 430 am to arrive at the race at 630 am.  The race consisted of all different types of cyclists.  There were the advanced, mediocre, and riders who were out there to have fun.  There were all different types of distances that you could sign up for as well.  From kid rides, to the Century.  We did the Century.  The course was beautiful.  I have never been around Palm Springs, besides downtown.  The first 40 miles of the ride was FREEZING and windy!  I did not dress very warm because I thought it was going to be hot.  I also do not like riding in the wind, because I get nervous I am going to fall over, so I was thankful I was on the Tandem.  In this race, I went the fastest I have ever gone on a bike.  On one of the down hills we got up to 54.4 miles an hour!  All the riders wanted to get on our tail to catch our draft.  The ride was perfect for me because the week before I was not able to run due to puling my calf muscle.   It was nice doing a hard workout again.  Phil is in better cycling shape than me, which caused him to push me to ride harder.  Having someone to push you during a work out or even a race is, at least for me, the best way to get stronger mentally and physically. 

1 comment:

  1. I want to see a picture of this tandem ride :) sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete